Are you ready for a medicine cabinet makeover? Once I tried essential oils, I quickly found myself replacing my over-the-counter medications with therapeutic-grade oils. Essential oils are amazing for helping to alleviate all sorts of ailments – from bug bites and skin issues to sore throats and stuffy noses – and can be diffused, applied topically or even ingested!
Here are just a few ways essential oils can help ease some common summer ailments and not only save you a trip to the drug store, but also give you peace of mind knowing you’re healing yourself in a more natural way:
- Mosquito bites – What’s summer in New England without mosquitos and those pesky greenheads at the beach? Just dab some of Young Living’s Purification blend (dilute with carrier oil for sensitive skin) on your bites for instant relief. The company’s Thieves oil can also be used
- Allergies – When every surface outside is covered with a yellow dusting, try diffusing a blend of Lavender, Lemon and Peppermint oils
- Stomach aches – Overindulge at your family BBQ? Just add a few drops of Peppermint oil to your water to ease the pain; or try Young Living’s Digize to ease bloating, gas and heartburn
- Breakouts – Let’s face it, all that sun can certainly cause our skin to go crazy in the summer. Skip the harsh over-the-counter remedies – this is nothing that a little Tea Tree oil can’t help with
- Cuts and scrapes – With all the time spent outdoors, summer often means cuts and scrapes galore! Lavender oil has very powerful antiseptic properties – applying it to cuts (dilute with carrier oil for sensitive skin) will help the wound heal faster and decrease the appearance of scars
I have been totally amazed at how versatile these oils are and how well they work. They have helped me discover more natural and healthier healing alternatives, and I’m happy to report that they have completely replaced our medicine cabinet at home. I also use them every day in my diffusers at home and in the salon to help keep me energized, relive allergy symptoms, keep the air clean and help with a sense of grounding. Just like crystals, there are so many ways to use these oils – the list is endless!
What to Look for in an Essential Oil Brand
The key is to select brand that is delivering the highest-quality essential oils. But this can be tricky when many brands are using the same language. Do your research! You do not want to be ingesting anything but the absolute best. Some things to look for include:
- 100% pure therapeutic grade should be labeled on the bottle. *This is different than therapeutic grade, pure grade, or even certified organic essential oils. Once you know your essential oils are 100% pure therapeutic grade, look for the following:
- Environmental Factors
- Seed – it starts with the seed. Powerful essential oils come from seeds and plants with the highest possible levels of bioactive compounds
- Cultivate – essential oil farms should be sustainable in the growing and harvesting methods around the globe.
- Physical Factors
- Distill – The distillery process is important to preserve the precious constituents. Cold pressing and resin tapping methods should be used along with steam extraction of the essential oils
- Test – How does the company test the quality? For consistent quality, tests should be done to insure the oils are not diluted, cut, or adulterated.
- Seal – Careful packaging, bottling, and labeling should be done with quality control
Unfortunately in the United States there are not standards for testing therapeutic grade essential oil. The FDA has very loose standards on even labeling oils, so it’s up to you to know your products! So it takes far less material to make synthetic or perfume grade oil, so it is more prevalent. Producing pure oils is time consuming and costly. The therapeutic grade essential oil is extremely concentrated and although the cost of the oil is more, we need far less and we can expect better results. It is in art and a science and something that should be done by companies that are dedicated to the process and their consumers.
While there are several quality brands on the market, I personally love Young Living for its Seed to Seal promise. It is important for me to know where ingredients come from before I put them on my body and in my body. Make sure to do your research before using any essential oils. Just like all products, ingredients are not created equal from one company to another. Don’t trust the label, do your homework.
If you’re interested in learning more about essential oils, please feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll be happy to guide you. Oils have had such a great impact on my overall health and wellness, I am so excited to share what I have learned with you.
Wishing you the best in wellness and abundance!